The Chicago Pedway Tour Details

November 8, 2011 38 Comments »

TIMES: Monday/Thursday/Saturday at 10:30 – The Monday/Thursday start location is different than the Saturday start location.

PRICE: The tour is 90 minutes and is 20$.

EXPECTATIONS: It’s about a mile of walking, there are lots ups and downs, lots of escalators and some stairs, revolving doors, etc. If you have a walker, stroller, etc., be aware that the pedway can get complicated with it’s ups and downs. If you have any questions or concerns about that, just give me a buzz!

DESCRIPTION: This strange, fun and unique tour takes you through one of the city’s least understood spaces, the Chicago Pedway. The Pedway is a series of walkways that connect building to building so that we don’t have to go outside in the winter, or the summer…or ever for that matter!!  But there is oh so much more to the Pedway than convenience stores and Dunkin’ Donuts! Although…SEVEN Dunkin Donuts in the pedway!  It is a strange urban space that even Chicagoans don’t know about.

The entire tour is inside, we are (mostly) warm in the winter and (mostly) cool in the summer.  I will lead you in hilarious and fascinating fashion as we traverse up and down, around and back, up, inside and around and through some of the great buildings of the Loop, the Pedway never does anything in a straight line. We talk about the Pedway itself, but we also talk about Chicago history and architecture; we see great lobbies and there are a couple of instances of Tiffany glass, so you can’t beat that. This is a quirky, fun, affordable tour and I love showing the pedway to people, locals and visitors alike.

The Mon/Thurs tour is more architectural, we’re seeing the pretty interiors of  City Hall, the Thompson Center and Macy’s – truly breathtaking:

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS FOR THE MONDAY OR THURSDAY PEDWAY TOUR – start at 40 W. Lake in the “Gallery of Shops” – we will finish by Michigan and Randolph

The Saturday tour is a little….less apologetic….than the other tour. We still see great buildings like Macy’s and the Cultural Center but then the Pedway gets a little gritty, but like, cool, weird, Chicago gritty.

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS FOR THE SATURDAY PEDWAY TOUR – start at Block 37 – 1 W. Randolph – meet me at the Guest Services Desk – we will finish by Michigan and Wacker

“Margaret Hicks is such an amiable and personable tour guide and is very knowledgeable about Chicago’s architecture, history, facts, and myths. We were shown areas we didn’t know existed and just had the greatest time while staying warm and entertained.” Judi from Memphis

pedwaytourpicsign

38 Comments

1. kathie January 3, 2012 at 10:27 am -

Any chance that you might do this tour on a Saturday? Looking for something like this for this Saturday, Jan. 7…

2. admin January 3, 2012 at 2:49 pm -

Hi Kathie! Sent you an email…

3. Beverly Mason February 23, 2012 at 12:12 am -

Hey, Are the Pedway tours wheelchair accessible?

4. admin February 28, 2012 at 12:28 pm -

Hi Beverly!

The pedway in parts, is wheelchair accessible, but parts of the pedway are not. If you like, I”d be happy to take you out on a private tour? that way we could do the parts we could definitely do! Does that make sense?

5. Nicholas March 15, 2012 at 7:15 am -

This is a great tour and, frankly, an interesting piece of Chicago’s still developing future. Take the tour; you won’t regret it. In fact, I was just on the tour last week and after 90 minutes of walking and talking, I would have happily done 90 more. This is a fascinating walk through the Chicago infrastructure, especially because the pedway emerged so organically over time, it stands in stark contrast to the city organized by grid. Margaret is also funny as hell; a real hoot.

6. admin March 16, 2012 at 1:17 pm -

YAY Nicholas! Thank you so much for this very kind review and thank you for coming on the tour!

7. Charles J. March 31, 2012 at 3:41 pm -

Hi… I’m having a family reunion July 13-15, 2012 here in Chicago. I wanted to set up a tour of the pedway for the 14th. If you would be so kind to send me an email with details, that would be greatly appreciated!

8. admin April 6, 2012 at 10:08 am -

Hey Charles! I responded by email, let me know that you got it!

9. val July 29, 2012 at 11:38 pm -

Hi! I was looking to purchase two tickets for the 9/8 tour, but when i went to purchase I didn’t see that date as an option? My boyfriend and I will be in Chicago from 6-10 of september and want to do the pedway tour… is there any available tour within those dates?

10. Jennifer August 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm -

Hello, I have a few questions about setting up a group tour. Please email me if possible.

thank you!

11. admin August 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm -

Hi Jennifer! Sending you an email right now!

12. Jovani August 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm -

Hi

I noticed that you offered holiday pedway tours last year. Will you be doing the same this year? I’d need tickets for 6.

13. admin August 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm -

YAY! hi. I will email you but definitely doing the holiday pedway tour this year!

14. Jim September 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm -

Where does the Pedway tour end?

15. admin September 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm -

Hey Jim! We end at the Cultural Center, Washington and Michigan!

16. Murat September 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm -

Hi there.
    Are the tours still happening? Or only in the winter? I would be interested in participating in one next week.
    Please let me know.
    Thank you.

Best,
    M

17. admin September 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm -

Hi Murat! I am still giving them, will send you an email…

18. Helen October 15, 2012 at 5:34 pm -

I recently ordered 3 tickets for the pedway tour on Oct. 29. They were sent to me via e-mail and I printed them out. I ordered and paid for a 4th ticket today. The screen said it was e-mailed to me but I have received nothing. Who do I contact to fix this?

19. Jerry October 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm -

I and my wife went on what I believe was the Red Line even though it was very informative it was strenuous for me as i have had two serious back surgeries. I believe the guide walked very fast from stop to stop. Is this pedway tour also very fast walking?

20. admin October 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm -

Hi Jerry! Replied on your email.

21. Richard November 8, 2012 at 11:00 am -

I was looking to take a tour with some friends on Tuesday. I wonder if this is at all possible and if there are any discounted rates for groups?

22. Sabrina January 1, 2013 at 10:34 am -

Hi. Is there any chance of arranging a tour for 5 people today on Jan. 1, 2013? Thank you.

23. Denita L Scott January 17, 2013 at 3:52 pm -

Good afternoon,

I’m interested in setting up a group outing for my co-workers and I. It’ll be for approximately 28 people and an afternoon tour would be great. Thanks in advance for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
    Denita

24. admin January 18, 2013 at 12:04 pm -

Hi Denita, replied by email!

25. Sue Henn March 5, 2013 at 8:59 am -

I believe I may have emailed you a few years ago! But never made the tour. Anyway, girls weekend March 16 – just want to be sure there are openings for the tour?

26. Margaret Hicks March 6, 2013 at 10:52 am -

Hey Sue! I saw your email, looking forward to seeing you on the 16th!

27. Lisa Stockhoff June 17, 2013 at 2:27 pm -

Hi Margaret! Will be in Chicago for one day in July. Your Pedway tour sounds great! Is it appropriate for a seven year old?

28. Margaret Hicks June 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm -

Hi Lisa! It can be? It can depend on the kid. I’ve definitely had kids on the tour if they’re generally pretty fine with walking around. We do talk some architecture and history, but the pedway is also strange and fun and weird, so that helps. I’ve never had a problem though, it’s always pretty fun when a young ‘un comes!

29. Joanne and Tim July 7, 2013 at 9:15 am -

We are from Chicago and had a fantastic time on the Pedway Tour. Margaret brought her charm, wit, funny stories, warm personality and infectious smile to the tour. This was the best tour we have done in Chicago. I want to do another one of these pedway tours with Margaret. A must to do in Chicago.

30. Margaret Hicks July 7, 2013 at 11:30 am -

AW! YES! Thank you so much Joanne and Tim! thank you thank you thank you. So great to hear from you. I’m glad you had fun and let me know when you come back!

31. Alex July 27, 2013 at 11:47 pm -

Hey, around how many people are usually on a tour? I’d be interested in this tour, as the few times I’ve been in the pedway I’ve gotten very lost and disoriented

32. Corina March 19, 2014 at 7:04 pm -

Margaret was delightful, her huge smile was contagious, lots of fun facts that makes me love this City even more!. My gf and I absolutely loved the tour, thanks again!

33. Margaret Hicks March 23, 2014 at 10:48 am -

Thank you Corina!!

34. Carol April 6, 2014 at 8:12 pm -

We are planning on being in Chicago tomorrow afternoon (4/7/14) with our family and wondered if we could have a private tour around 3:00? There will be 5 of us.

Leave A Response

Switch to our mobile site